Mullin's house with an outbuilding

Late 19th - early 20th century

A wooden house on a brick utility floor and a former one-story wooden wing were built in the 1870s by the merchant of the second guild, Burganutdin Fakhrutdinovich Mullin, and are located at 11 and 13 Kayum Nasyri Street.

Burganutdin Fakhrutdinovich Mullin (1836–1917) - a wealthy sugar merchant, a merchant of the second guild. For many years he was a member of the city council. Knowing Russian perfectly, BF Mullin took an active part in all public events and charity events of the Tatar merchants. He is known for his donations for the construction of the Al-Marjani mosque in the Old Tatar settlement and for his participation in the creation of the Islamic Charitable Society. Since the merchant had no children of his own, in 1899 he adopted Zalyaletdin Galyatdinov, a native of the village of Kartmen in the Kukmor volost of the Kazan district. After the death of B.F. Mullin, he became the heir to the merchant.

An extensive one-storey merchant's house with a high skylight and a side mezzanine is located on the red line of the street. Rectangular in plan, it consists of log cabins adjoining perpendicularly, united by a single gable roof.

The log top floor rests on a brick skylight basement intended for household needs. Almost square lower windows with a shallow bow-shaped end, narrow frame platbands and key stones, literally rooted into the ground. The basement brick floor is equipped with a tin weir, over which wooden walls rise. The residential floor before restoration was sheathed with horizontal rows of planks. Outlets of logs flank the main façade; the middle release divides the façade into two unequal halves. Each of them has 3 windows, while they correspond to the window axes of the semi-basement. The dimensions of the walls between the windows differ: they are larger on the left than on the right. The upper windows are framed with simple platbands and fitted with shutters. The top of the walls ends with a cornice board on brackets. According to the Tatar tradition, the emphasis in the design of the house was transferred to the pediment part. Until the last fire, the roof slopes were "supported" by metopes (an attribute of classicism), while the tympanum was richly decorated. A duplicated small window gable, ripped apart in the center, was supported on the sides by simplified double columns (restored). Above a horizontally unfolded window with fractional bindings was placed a carved multibeam semi-sun, along the sides of the central window there were vertical narrow windows.

Photos before restoration. 2000s

In the early 2000s, the half-stone house was handed over to the Muslim community of the Al-Marjani Mosque. But in 2008 there was a fire in which the roof was badly damaged. Before the Universiade 2013, all houses on Kayum Nasyri Street, including B.F. Mullina, have been completely restored. The facade is variegated. At the same time, the late planking was removed from it. The architecture of a half-stone house is an example of a combination of elements of classicism and folk art techniques.

If a building becomes architecture, then it is art
Mullin Museum

The house houses the Mullin Museum, which occupies one floor. On the other floor there is a photo studio and a hall where master classes and creative classes are held. During a tour of the museum, you can learn a lot about painting, crafts and art of the Kazan Tatars. The museum displays old Tatar utensils: furniture, costumes, household items. Here you can taste herbal tea with Tatar sweets.


The outbuilding is located at Kayum Nasyri Street 13. The courtyard, as is customary among the Tatars, is hidden behind a deaf board fence with strips.

One of the wings of B.F. Mullina was a wooden one-story, with 3 windows along the facade, in platbands with overlaid carvings and broken sloping gables. It was lost. The second wing, located further from the house, was also a wooden one-story building.

During the restoration of the estate in 2013, an additional brick volume was added to the far wooden one-storey outbuilding from the courtyard, and a second floor was erected over its entire area under a gable roof, which forms an attic pediment on the end street side. The outbuilding is a traditional six-wall, placed on the basement for household purposes with its end facing the street. The yard is hidden behind a blank plank fence with cover strips. The location of the elegant attic exit on the roof, entrances and many windows from the courtyard side emphasize the importance of the courtyard facade for the owners. The log house is sheathed with horizontal rows of planks with strips. The corners are taken into the blades that support the plank frieze. Quite large rectangular windows are located high - directly under the eaves. The manor is an example of the use of elements of classicism in folk urban architecture.

Made on