Built in 1823, rebuilt in 1890, architect A.K. Schmidt
One of the most characteristic representatives of the Tatar merchant house is the Vali-baya estate, a complex of residential, warehouse, utility, office and commercial premises, united into a single whole by passages - a vivid example of combining the techniques of classicism with folk architecture.
It is located in the northern part of the Staro-Tatar Sloboda quarter, in which it occupies a small trapezoidal area bordering the area of the Al-Marjani mosque. The main house was built in 1823 by the merchant Yadygar Ishimov, according to the project of A.K. Schmidt.
Vali-baia's utility yard. Photo of the 1930s.
In the 1870s, the house was bought by the merchant of the second guild Valiulla Gizetullin (Vali-bai), who made his fortune in the sale of tea and grain and groceries.
Vali-bai was an important member of the Kazan community, a philanthropist, an official of the city duma, a member of the provincial presence and the Tatar orphan's court.
The house was rebuilt in the 1890s. The wing, built in the middle of the 19th century, also faces the red building line.
The house is a composition of several log cabins, set on a high brick basement for household purposes. It impresses with its monumentality and laconicism. The frame of the upper floor is sheathed with horizontal rows of planks, imitating pilasters and friezes. The main facade faces the lake. Boar. It has a symmetrical composition, highlighted by a mezzanine. The premises from the lake side are illuminated by windows, three of which are located in the central part and correspond to the mezzanine ones, and 2 windows on each side; on the side there are 4 windows.
There are attic windows in the gables. There are warehouses, outbuildings and services in the yard. An outbuilding (originally one-storey) adjoins the main house along Zaini Sultan Street. Its facade is dismembered at the level of the lower floor by paired blades, between which there are windows decorated with key stones. At the level of the second floor of the wing, a gallery stretched from the side of the courtyard facade.
Stables and hay dryers were located along the rear border of the site (some fragments survived). The border of the site in the depths was closed by a 2-storey brick warehouse with wooden galleries (preserved only in the corner), adjacent to the outbuilding. The warehouse building is cut through by large arched gates with massive iron shutters.